Feel Free to Talk Back

I am very happy to have people comment on these entries and you don't need to write an essay, happy to get "liked it" or "don't agree with this one" although if you hate it some hint as to why would be helpful.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Health or Lack of it

So my grandmother is 92 (or maybe 93 I forget to be honest) and I have been fortunate to have her as part of my life.
Unfortunately she has gall stones something I know about as I have had them too.

For those who do not know about them the salient points are that it is very very painful when they "attack" you and the treatment is relatively straight forward in that it is day surgery to have your gall blader removed, something that you can live happily without.

And there is the problem for my gran, "day surgery" which no matter how routine etc is still surgery and involves a general anestethic. It is unlikely that this would go well for my gran and so unlike me she is having to live with this issue.

Your gall bladder comes into play when you eat, specifically fats and so if you don't eat you don't get the very painful attacks, or more usefully if you don't eat fat you don't get it. This was the way I managed the condition until my surgery I would only eat things that had 2% or less fat content which by trial and error I had discovered was a level my system could tolerate with out anoying my gall bladder.

A variation on this has likewise become my grans solution unfortunately this means she isn't eating very much and losing weight which in the end could potentiall kill her.

The reason for this discussion is a thought I had about the short term benefits of being healthy as we routinely ignore this on the basis that any health issues associated with our current bad behaviour will manifest in the future.

The thought is this, what if you are not healthy enough to stand the treatment and therefore you die of a cureable condition, wouldn't you feel at the minimum a bit dumb. So are you healthy enough to survive getting healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment